Wednesday, February 8, 2012

chicken soup.

When you're sick, nothing is better than chicken soup.  So, just  recently I was super sick with a bad infection, I decided it was about time to whip up some feel-better-soup in my handy crockkkpotttt.  I chose to use boneless chicken because I was too tired to deal with fishing out bones. It turned out great - soothing and delicious.  I ate it for days.

Here is my recipe:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 of 1 onion, washed, peeled, and chopped
3 celery ribs, washed and chopped
1 large carrot, washed, peeled, and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and mined
1 medium red potato, washed and diced (I left the peel on for additional fiber, but it's optional)
Juice of 1/2 of 1 lemon
1/4 cup fresh parsley, washed and diced
1/4 cup fresh chives, washed and diced
3 springs fresh thyme, washed
2 fresh bay leaves
4 cups low sodium/no sodium chicken broth or stock + filtered water as needed
Frozen peas, corn, and cut green beans - I added about 3/4 cup total
Sea salt and pepper

1. Preheat crockpot on high
2. Wash and clean the chicken
3. Add chicken to crockpot
4. Add celery, onion, carrot, garlic, potato and fresh herbs over chicken
5. Pour chicken broth over chicken and vegetables
6. Turn crockpot down to low and cook for 4 hours
7. After about 4 hours, run a fork through chicken to shred it into smaller pieces
8. Add frozen vegetables, salt, and pepper and allow to cook for an additional hour







No comments:

Post a Comment